Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Bonnie's Baptism, Light, and the Book of Mormon

Bonnie is baptized and confirmed! I am so proud of her. She was glowing on her baptism day, if you looked at the pictures, you would have to agree. She has changed so much, even in this past week. Before, she was worried about not having to have coffee for the rest of forever, but now, she is happy to obey the commandments. Since becoming baptized, it is like she has a new motivation to endure to the end. She is such an example to me and those at church. Already the members of the branch are embracing her. When she answers questions in class, the members always make sure to congratulate and encourage her. It is one of the most heart warming things to see. And now, one of the most loving people is a part of one of the most loving groups of people I will ever know.

This was a week that was full of action. Sister Clarke and I had the opportunity to teach many lessons to many people. We had the opportunity to be involved in the conversion process of so many people. I love being able to see a deaf person and smile at them and see their eyes light up from joy that someone cares.

One of my favorite moments this week was to go visit a deaf retirement home in Arcadia and visit with the people there. I was able to chat with an adorable woman named June. She was so happy to be able to have someone who was interested and happy to chat with her. She didn't stop smiling the whole time. And the best part was at the end when I gave her a hug. She gave me one of the tightest, most loving hugs I have gotten on my mission. It was as if she was saying, "Thank you for taking the time to love me." It is for these moments that I keep going on my mission. I could have the worst week, I could have almost every door slammed in my face, I could have deaf people yell at me (it is pretty scary), but if I just have one moment in which I can look into one deaf person's eyes and see the light that I was able to bring to them, everything is worth it. And Heavenly Father always makes sure to give me at least one of those moments every week.

We had the Stake Fair on Saturday. It was so much fun! And there was a petting zoo! I held a chicken! And the deaf people got very involved in the whole fair. It was wonderful to see the other members of the stake and the members of the branch trying to communicate.

Oh! And guess what. Remember Rosalia? From back in April/May time? Who was so incredibly motivated to learn and then got a job at LAX and got too busy? Well, we really haven't been able to contact her since. It was so sad. But we went to her house on Friday and taught her. She has been reading and watching the Book of Mormon almost everyday since we first taught her, even since we couldn't contact her. She believes the Book of Mormon to be the word of God and Joseph Smith to be a true prophet. Miracles happen. This just goes to show Heavenly Father does not give up on His children, no matter the circumstances they may be in. He truly does prepare a way for every person to receive the truth of the gospel.

Keep reading the Book of Mormon. As a representative of the Lord Jesus Christ, I promise that it contains all the answers to the questions of your soul, and you can receive these answers if you but ask, seek, and knock. I can personally testify that this is true. I have done this multiple times and I have had so much comfort knowing I have the words
of life right in my hands.

I love you all.

Sister Smyly Crawford


Sister Sorenson, Sister Crawford and Sister Clark
 
 
Sister Crawford and the Chicken
 

No comments:

Post a Comment